School workshops: gender equality & identity
Maslaha is an award-winning charity offering a number of flexible interactive workshop packages to secondary schools and colleges to equip young people with the skills, confidence and perspectives to navigate some of the most pressing challenges presented to them today.
We have a friendly, skilled and diverse team of facilitators and may bring sector-specific guests depending on the nature of the workshop. Workshops can be tailored appropriately to the local contexts of individual schools and colleges.
Workshops are always interactive and involve a variety of media, resources, and perspectives.
Maslaha has experience in delivering workshops around positive notions of gender identity and healthy relationships, the relationship between religion and feminism, issues of violence against women including domestic violence, sexual abuse, forced marriage and FGM and using creative media to explore gender identity.
See the workshop summary below, or download the full workshop description.
BBC Asian Network interview with Maslaha workshop participants, East London, 2013
"Maslaha gave me an amazing opportunity to contribute and begin trying to make a difference. It changed my perspective of things and likewise the perspective of my school."
Canan Iscan, participant at Question Time One Billion Rising event in the Houses of Parliament, February 2013
"Frankly the workshops gave great hope and confidence to us."
Workshop participant, Paris, 2013
What subjects are the workshops suitable for?
- Other relevant subjects
- Enrichment/off-timetable days
- Extracurricular activities
What areas do the workshops cover?
- Introduction to gender equality and feminism
- Activities around gender stereotypes
- Activities around consent/healthy relationships
- Violence against women including domestic violence, sexual abuse, forced marriage and FGM
- The relationship between religion and feminism
- Skill identification and raising aspirations
- Using different creative mediums to explore issues around gender identity
Who are the workshops for?
- Young people between the ages of 11 and 18
- We offer our workshops to secondary schools and colleges but are happy to discuss other possibilities, for instance community/youth groups
- Workshops can be tailored to single-sex or mixed class groups
How much do workshops cost?
Cost of workshops starts at £200 for a one-hour workshop with 30 pupils. For larger groups or multiple workshops, cost can be discussed. Please contact us for further details.
If you are interested in Maslaha coming in to your school to run workshops, or would like to discuss options, contact us at email@example.com or call us on 0203 701 7640.
No entries yet... stay tuned!
We have worked with partner schools/groups from:
- Tower Hamlets
- Waltham Forest
- Paris, France
- Muscat, Oman
- Seoul, South Korea